Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Cancer Story


Like everyone, I have my own story to tell.  No two stories are alike.  What I experienced as a cancer patient was and is much different than any of the people sitting in a chemo pod next to me.  Thankfully, my story is one of success.  I'm here today to tell you about my story and I am forever grateful for this second chance at life.  That's not to say my journey was easy.  It was far from that.  And on many days, I still suffer from side effect that cancer left behind.

I enjoy talking about my story.  While it's incredibly difficult at times, I like to share my story for various reasons.  I love to share my story in the hopes of giving someone else hope.  During my cancer days of diagnosis, surgery, and treatment, I felt lost and alone.  I was 21 and felt like I had no one who truly understood what I was going through, emotionally and physically.  I turned to the internet.  I found other young adults' blogs.  I found comfort in reading their stories; the good and the bad.  The bad scared me, but it also prepared me for the rough road ahead of me.  The good gave me hope.  I was determined to live the positive life they led.  I promised myself I too would win my battle just as they had done.  Reading their blogs let me know my fears about the unknown in my health, even after many years in remission, is normal; that I'm not the only one walking around in constant fear and worry.  My hope is that someone else will stumble upon my blog and find this same sense of comfort and hope.  That they too can feel they have someone who understands.  My hope is that this is a place they can come to read about endoscopies, surgery recovery, coping with diagnosis, what to expect with treatments and how life after cancer is.  That their fears and emotions, even many years past, are normal.

I also blog to raise awareness.  I want people to see the rawness and hardships this awful disease can bring about.  That it can strongly affect one's life.  And that even though treatments have ended, survivors still need love and support.  Finding and adjusting to a new normal in life, accepting a changed body, coping with fear of relapse, and dealing with the after affects of cancer are all difficult.  We still struggle on a daily basis.  Some more than others.  I hope that by sharing my story, I can touch people to fight for a world without cancer.  That people will join more organizations such as Relay for Life (or any other cancer related fundraiser) to raise money for research and programs to help cancer patients and their families; to volunteer to help others suffering from cancer.  I want to inspire people to fight for a cure and help those suffering in any way.



Links found below are currently inactive as their pages undergo construction
-  21 March 2014


About Leiomyosarcoma




Radiation

Chemotherapy

Remission

Life After Cancer

No comments: